BCS Community Credit Union members vote to approve merger with Community Choice Credit Union
Commerce City, CO (March 10, 2021) —Community Choice Credit Union, based in Commerce City Colorado, and BCS Community Credit Union (BCSCU), based in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, announced that the member-owners of BCS Community have voted to approve a merger with Community Choice.
Supported by both credit unions’ Boards of Directors and management, and approved by the National Credit Union Association (NCUA) and Colorado Division of Financial Services (DORA), the merger will take effect on April 1, 2021, after which the continuing credit union will operate as Community Choice Credit Union, with approximately $93 million in assets, 8,100 members and 2 locations.
The voting was overwhelmingly favorable, with 87 percent of votes cast in support of the merger. The special meeting of BCSCU’s members took place on Friday, March 5, 2021, with the final vote tally confirmed that evening.
Community Choice President & CEO Rainy Thoen welcomed BCSCU’s members and employees to the Community Choice family and is enthusiastic for the great cultural fit the merger represents: “This merger is a great demonstration of people working together to build a stronger foundation focused on service and competitive financial products. We believe that by joining forces we can better serve both communities.”
As part of the merger agreement, BCSCU’s Chief Executive Mark Hachtel will stay on as Chief Member Experience Officer of Community Choice, and the Community Choice Board of Directors will expand from seven to nine members to accommodate two Board members from BCSCU. A system conversion is expected in November, 2021.
About Community Choice Credit Union
Community Choice Credit Union (CCCU) is a not-for-profit state-chartered community credit union founded in 1952 and today with more than $65 million in assets. CCCU provides an array of financial services and online solutions to its members from its office in Commerce City, Colorado, and through a national network of 5,000+ CO-OP Network Service Centers, 30,000+ CO‐OP ATMs, and online through the Community Choice Credit Union website. Membership eligibility is open to anyone who lives, learns, works or worships in Commerce City.
About BCS Community Credit Union
BCS Community Credit Union (BCSCU) is a not-for-profit state-chartered community credit union founded in 1938 to serve the employees of the Colorado and Southern Railroad. The credit union’s diversified membership includes railroaders, residents and people working, living or worshiping within the city limits of Wheat Ridge, as well as other groups. BCSCU serves the financial needs of over 2,300 members with about $28 million in assets and provides services to its members through its local office in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, and a national network of 5,000+ CO-OP Network Service Centers, 30,000+ CO‐OP ATMs, and online through the BCS Community Credit Union Website.
Merger Questions & Answers
Why did CCCU and BCSCU merge? The Board’s decision centered on the members, employees and the ability to grow and expand. As we look to meet the long‐term needs of you, our members, we believe this partnership will allow us to enhance our existing products and services as well as provide new products and services, while maintaining the same personalized member service we have always provided. We are extremely proud of the cultures we have built over our combined 150 years and this merger will allow us to bring the best of both credit unions together.
When did the two organizations merge? The legal merger will be completed on April 1, 2021, so BCS Community is now operating as a “subsidiary” of Community Choice until the system conversion on November 1, 2021. At a special membership meeting held on March 5, 2021, BCSCU members voted to approve the merger which was previously approved by both state and federal regulators.
What does this partnership mean for me? Without having to do anything, you will automatically become a member of the combined credit union. You will have access to additional savings & loan products and services as well as more options for you to perform transactions, in addition to expanded online tools and technology once the two credit union systems merge on November 1, 2021.
The combined credit union will thrive as both leaders, Rainy Thoen and Mark Hachtel, will continue to lead the credit union. Ms. Thoen will hold the title of President and CEO, and Mr. Hachtel will become as Chief Member Experience Officer.
How does the partnership benefit our members? Members will be able to take advantage of a host of benefits, including:
- Same Smiling Faces We know how much you love the smiling faces you see at our branches, and rest assured that they will still be right here to greet you and serve you!
- Better Rates Combining our financial resources will allow us to offer even better rates on our most popular products and services.
- More Locations to Serve You After system conversion on November 1, 2021, the combined credit union will now work from both offices to serve you. In addition, as part of the CO‐OP network you can find over 5,000 shared branches and over 30,000 surcharge‐free ATMs.
- Products and Services More resources translate to faster development of additional products and services to meet your needs. For example, members will have instant issuance of debit/credit cards.
- What are the advantages of a larger organization?A larger deposit and capital base means expenses are spread over a larger member base, which will:
- Significantly decrease our expense structure
- Increase operating efficiencies
- Allow for increased member service
These economies of scale advantages will give us the resources to better serve members through innovative product and service offerings, greater impact and investment in the communities we serve, the ability to invest in the right long‐term infrastructure and technology, and the opportunity to be more competitive.
- How will this affect the staff?No employees will be unemployed as a result of the merger. Staff at both credit unions will have greater access to career development opportunities, comprehensive benefits and training while being part of a collaborative team that serves our communities and cares about people. Blending our credit union families is something we look forward to.
- Are my accounts still federally insured? Yes. Your accounts will continue to be federally insured for at least $250,000 by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), a U.S. government agency.
- How will my accounts be affected?At this time there is no immediate effect to your accounts. As we integrate our systems, we will provide you with additional information about the changes you will see and benefits you will be able to receive.
- Will my account number change?Our merger with Community Choice Credit Union will require all your account information to be moved onto a new data processing system, and only about 300 members will see an account number change. If your account number needs to change, you will be notified via mail.
- Will the routing number change for BCSCU?For the time being, there will be no changes to the routing number for BCSCU. Members with automated payments, direct deposits or other electronic transfers that use the routing number should not have to make any updates as of yet.
- Will I need to get new checks, debit card or credit card?You will be able to use your existing checks as we work to integrate our systems. Your debit and credit card will need to be transitioned over to CCCU after November 1. We will work with members over time to migrate their account/card to CCCU platforms.
- Will my online banking/mobile login change?Not initially. During the transition period, you will continue to use the same login credentials to access online & mobile banking. After conversion to CCCU platforms on November 1, 2021, you will shift to the CCCU online banking and mobile platforms. Don’t worry, we’ll make this transition as smooth as we can for members.
- Will my fees be changing?Community Choice Credit Union operates under the vision of providing financial services to our members for little or no fees. A current fee schedule can be found on the CCCU website.
- Will my loan payments or rates change?No, your loan payment, loan rate, and due date will remain the same. Starting in November, 2021 the new credit union location in Commerce City will accept your loan payments (if that location is convenient for you).
- What if I have additional questions?The BCSCU and Community Choice teams are enthusiastic about providing the most positive merger experience possible. Please watch BCSCU & CCCU social media accounts, and our individual web sites. If you have additional questions please give us a call, or feel free to email us at: